8/6/10

On the Day You Were Born

Pre function

Chase's nap before the big event

Last picture together as one

She is so tiny

Seeing each other for the first time

Proud Papa

Full of wonder

Getting warmed up

She has him wrapped around her finger

First burping

1st photo shoot



Reading her "On the Night You Were Born"

1+1=3 Matching Bracelets

Admiring our miracle

Mommies push gift from Daddy

Dad ran out and bought her a preemie outfit

On July 25th 2010 our precious angel came into the world to share her life with us. Here is the story of Laken Rains birth:

Laken wanted to come early. At 30 weeks I began experiencing contractions and was put on the drug terbutaline to stop labor from progressing. I was told to take the medication until 36 weeks when it would be safe for Laken to arrive. On Friday July 23rd Chase and I celebrated out 5th wedding anniversary in Flagstaff AZ. The next morning I drove back to Phoenix while Chase finished his last day of clinical for the week. On my drive home I noticed that I was very tired and had just stopped taking terbutaline the day before. Upon arriving home the contractions I had been experiencing off and on for 6 weeks were more pronounced, and I had started to bleed. I called Chase out of the operating room to decide what we wanted to do. We decided that we better go to the hospital to be checked out. Chase had a 2 and a half hour drive to pick me up. I packed the last minute things into our hospital bag just in case this was the big day. 2 and a half hours later Chase arrived and we loaded up our car. I could tell that he was nervous and by this time I pretty much knew that Laken was coming soon. We ate a lunch on the way and were admitted into labor and delivery triage around 2 pm. I was dilated to 2 cm. Within 2 hours I had progressed to 4 cm and we were transferred to our delivery room. Labor progressed to a 5 with little pain and I was just a little uncomfortable. I got an epidural at 5 cm. and then labor was completely pain free. The whole labor felt very fast and like a whirlwind to me. I had loved little Laken from the moment that I saw the positive pregnancy test, but nothing prepared me for the emotions to come. Along the road to fully dialated, Laken had a few dips in her heart rate that required more monitoring. When the time came to push, Laken’s heart rate continued to drop in the birth canal. At one point there was talk of a cesarean but I was unable to hear all of this with my oxygen mask on and all of the background noise. I just remember a few panicked looks from the Dr and nurses and knew that something was not quite right. Chase was amazing through the entire thing. He was scared but he did not show it and was the best coach that I could have asked for. On July 25, 2010 at 2:13 am Laken made it into the world with the assistance of a suction cup and an episiotomy. The Dr. said “She looks just like her daddy!” and that is what everyone has told us since. Her chord was wrapped around her neck. She was whisked away by nurses and Dad was able to go with her. She was fine but we were unable to hold her for a few minutes as they had to make sure that she was OK with the dips in heart rate and lack of oxygen. Then I heard the most wonderful sound……her first cry. And I looked at Chase and he was overwhelmed and crying. His arms were wrapped above his head and he came back to give me a quick embrace before getting back to his new girl. The Dr. then let me know all of the down and dirty and said that Laken came early for a reason……she would not have fit if she had gotten any larger. Laken weighed in at 6 pounds, 2 ounces. 18 and a ¼ inches long. After what felt like forever they brought this little bundle wrapped up in hospital blankets to me. A little brown haired, dark blue eyed angel was placed in my arms. Nothing had ever made me happier or more afraid all at the same time. I am so in love with her. Welcome to the world Laken Rain Simpson. We’re so happy to meet you!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete